On June 24-26, 2016, the American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA), along with the UC Irvine Department of Anesthesiology & Perioperative Care, will host the annual Perioperative Surgical Home Summit at the Hilton Chicago in Chicago, Ill.
“This summit focuses on the demands of a rapidly approaching health care paradigm that will emphasize quality, patient satisfaction and reduced costs,” said Dr. Zeev Kain M.D., M.B.A. “The wide variety of topics and world-renowned speakers will provide insights and strategies for success in the establishment of your very own Perioperative Surgical Home (PSH).”
The PSH model was created by leaders within the ASA to address the growing demands in healthcare to address population health, patient satisfaction, and per-capita-costs, or what is commonly called the Triple Aim.
According to the ASA, the guiding principles of PSHs include the following:
- Physician leaders drawn from the organization’s anesthesiologists, surgeons and hospitalists
- Cost-effective teams of nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and other personnel
- Consistent application across specialty lines of evidence-informed goals and leading practices
- Early identification of patients at high risk for perioperative complications, readmission
- Seamless tracking of patient progress before, during and after the episode of care
- Standardization of physician preference items to reduce supply costs
- Coordination of safe transition back to primary care
- Data collection: cost, quality metrics, patient satisfaction, outcomes
- Continuous improvement of performance, safety, efficiency.
Particularly, the ASA believes the role of anesthesiologists will flow naturally from “anesthesiologist inside the OR” to “perioperative physician” through the entire surgical process because of their expertise in several key areas: preoperative evaluation, management of intraoperative and PACU care, critical care and pain medicine, and application of knowledge, skills and experience to all perioperative care.
With the roll-out of Medicare’s Comprehensive Joint Replacement bundled payment program, along with other programs like Bundled Payments for Care Improvement (BPCI), the Medicare Shared Savings Program (MSSP), and Accountable Care Organizations (ACO), the ASA has formed its PSH Learning Collaborative 2.0 to focus on implementing PSHs that will be compatible with these Medicare-sponsored alternative payment models.
— All rights reserved. For use or reprint in your blog, website, or publication, please contact us at email@example.com.