The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) recently extended the deadline for Ambulatory Surgical Centers submitting several web-based measures under the ASC Quality Reporting Program.
ASCs have until September 30, 2015, to report the following measures based on 2014 dates of service submitted via the QualityNet portal (except as noted):
- ASC-6: Safe Surgery Checklist Use
- ASC-7: ASC Facility Volume Data on Selected ASC Surgical Procedures
- ASC-8: Influenza Vaccination Coverage among Healthcare Personnel (Submitted directly to the CDC’s National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN))
- ASC-9: Endoscopy/Polyp Surveillance: Appropriate Follow-up Interval for Normal Colonoscopy in Average Risk Patients
- ASC-10: Endoscopy/Polyp Surveillance: Colonoscopy Interval for Patients with a History of Adenomatous Polyps – Avoidance of Inappropriate Use
Previously, the deadline was August 15, 2015. ASCs that do not meet the new deadline will face a 2 percent reduction in their 2016 Medicare Payment Update.
CMS recommends allowing two to four weeks to complete QualityNet registration and NHSN enrollment (for ASCs not already registered or enrolled). For ASCs just getting started or needing a refresher on program requirements, download the ASCQR Program Reference Checklist from the QualityNet website. As well, a new video: “Becoming a Security Administrator” has been released at http://www.qualityreportingcenter.com/asc/tools/. This instructional video is designed to guide you step-by-step through the necessary forms on QualityNet to register as a Security Administrator for your ASC.
To assist with online data submission, ASCs may now access tools developed by CMS to check their reporting status and receive guidance on data entry.
To check data submission status for ASC-6, ASC-7, ASC-9, and ASC-10 into QualityNet:
- Web-Based Status Listing – Enter your facility’s National Provider Identifier (NPI) into the search function to check that your data submission is complete.
- Please consult the ASC Web-Based Measures Guidelines or the video on answering web-based measures (ASC – Entering Web-Based Measures (English)) for instructions on this process.
To check data submission status for ASC-8 into the NHSN:
- NHSN Status Listing – Enter your facility’s CMS Certification Number (CCN) into the search function to determine if your ASC is enrolled in NHSN and to see if your facility’s data have been entered completely.
- CCN Lookup Tool – Access this tool to find your facility’s CCN by entering your facility’s NPI.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) outlines the 5-step NHSN enrollment process on their website and in their ASC Enrollment Checklist, as well as providing additional tools and resources for this measure.
- CDC can assist you with questions about the NHSN process via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ASCs also can access Facility-Specific Reports through QualityNet that include performance data on the measure undergoing a dry run this year–ASC-12: Facility Seven-Day Risk-Standardized Hospital Visit Rate after Outpatient Colonoscopy. Directions on how to access these reports and other information about the dry run are available at www.qualitynet.org.
Information about the 2016 reporting year was published in the Ambulatory Surgical Center Payment Systems and Quality Reporting Programs Proposed Rule. The section covering the ASCQR Program begins on page 39340 of the Federal Register and extends through page 39348 (pages 142–150 of the downloadable PDF document). As well, the ASCQR Specifications Manual version 5.0 has been released with an effective date of January 1, 2016, through June 30, 2016. Version 5.0 can be accessed on QualityNet by selecting “Specifications Manual” under the “Ambulatory Surgical Centers” tab and then version 5.0 in the table.
— All rights reserved. For use or reprint in your blog, website, or publication, please contact us at email@example.com. Photo by Patricksmercy via Flickr used with permission under the Creative Commons License.